February marks LGBT+ History Month, but it’s vital that we support our LGBT+ communities all year round. Here are some helpful resources to become a better ally, learn more about LGBT+ history, and seek support if you need it.
Helpful guides: Talking about LGBTQ+ terms
- A simple glossary of LGBTQ+ terms: https://www.stonewallcymru.org.uk/help-advice/glossary-terms-0
- How to be a trans ally and information on how to discuss names/pronouns with trans residents: https://www.glaad.org/transgender/allies
- Helpful terms to use and avoid: https://www.glaad.org/sites/default/files/allys-guide-to-terminology_1.pdf
- LGBTQ+ inclusive language guide: https://thesafezoneproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/SZP-Language-DO-DONT-Handout.pdf
Support for LGBT+ communities
LGBTQ+ young people are four times more likely to become homeless than their non-LGBTQ+ peers. Homelessness charity Llamau runs the Youth Homeless helpline to support provide information on where young people can access safe temporary accommodation and offer advice and support.
You can find the details of the helpline here and sign to support Llamau’s campaign to show that Wales is a country that will no longer tolerate young people becoming homeless simply because they’re LGBTQ+ here.
Here are other organisations offering support to LGBT communities and their loved ones:
- LGBT Cymru helpline: https://www.lgbtcymru.org.uk/
- Stonewall Cymru: https://www.stonewallcymru.org.uk/help-advice/contact-stonewalls-information-service
- Support for transgender, non-binary and gender-diverse young people and their families: https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/
- The Terrence Higgins Trust – the leading HIV and sexual health charity: https://www.tht.org.uk/
Watch and learn: LGBT+ history media resources
- The story of when Welsh miners and LGBQT+ activists united: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/31/pride-film-gay-activists-miners-strike-interview
- A documentary about a Welsh transgender teenager growing up in a rural community: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qh5v7
- A mini-series following a group of young people living in London during the AIDS crisis: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/its-a-sin
- A documentary following four of the many men who suffered criminal or medical discrimination due to being gay in the last 50 years: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/convicted-for-love
- A short film made by a bereaved fiancé covering the topic of being Muslim and gay: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-god-im-queer
- The story of Alan Turing, a mathematical genius who cracked the German Enigma code in World War 2 but was then convicted and forced to undergo chemical castration for being in a relationship with a man: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/