Enter keyword and hit enter

Be like Bob

Our Universal Credit campaign mascot Bob is here to help you get ready for Universal Credit.

When BOB heard his benefits were changing to become a single monthly Universal Credit payment, he got ready to Bank, go Online and Budget so that he could claim.


Universal Credit can only be paid into a bank account. Set one up or use the one you have.

This Money Advice Service information explains what you need to do to set one up.


All claims are managed online, so you need to know where you can access the internet and you need the skills to goBe like Bob - United Welsh Universal Credit mascot online.

Digital Communities Wales can tell you where you can find the nearest public computer.

Our Money Advisors can also signpost you to help with using computers and the internet

For United Welsh tenants call: 029 2085 8100

For Newydd tenants call: 0303 040 1998


You need to plan your budget. Universal Credit is paid monthly rather than weekly or fortnightly. The Money Advice Service has a Money Manager tool to help you start budgeting.


What else did BOB do?

  • I made an email address
  • I registered on www.GOV.UK/VERIFY
  • I started saving a couple of pounds each week so I had money before my first UC payment (it takes at least five or six weeks for your first payment to arrive after you make your claim)


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people in or out of work and is now live in all of our Local Authority areas.

People making a new claim for benefit will be expected to claim Universal Credit.

It’s different because:

  • You will only get one monthly payment for your household
  • Universal Credit will be paid into your bank account
  • If you’re entitled to help with your rent this will be included in the monthly payment and you will have to pay the rent to United Welsh yourself
  • You will have to apply for and manage your Universal Credit online
  • You will still need to claim some benefits separately, like Council Tax Reduction and Personal Independence Payment.

Universal Credit is replacing the benefits below:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)

Changes in circumstances can also mean our tenants will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Here’s what could prompt a change:

  • Found fit for work so ESA stops
  • Relationship starts or ends
  • Bereavement
  • Change in working hours
  • Loss of job
  • Becoming a carer
  • Youngest child turns five
  • Going back to work after sickness
  • New claim for Housing Benefit
  • Moving from one Local Authority to another
  • Change to jobseekers allowance and income support due to birth of a child

Your checklist

To make your claim process as quick and easy as possible, make sure you’ve got all the following information:

  • Your National Insurance number and your partner’s National Insurance number
  • Your postcode
  • Your email address (you can’t claim without one!)
  • Your phone number (landline or mobile)
  • Your landlord’s address
  • Your rent (contact us if you’re not sure of the correct amount)
  • Your tenancy start date
  • Details of any children / relatives / other people who live with you, including their name, date of birth, relationship to you and income
  • Details of any savings
  • Details of any other money you receive
  • The name and address of your bank, your account number and sort code

Be like Bob - Get Universal Credit ready